Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Find Your Smile


"Smile"
Mark Nesmith
Pastel on Paper
14" x 11"
2011
Some kids come to school full of excitement and joy, and some kids need a little help finding their smile.  No matter what's going on around me, I'm usually smiling.  On campus I'm kind of known as a bit of a jokester, and while sometimes sarcasm gets the better of me, I try to be friendly and optimistic towards the people I meet.  When I met this girl she seemed shy and reserved.  She was in line with her class in the hallway, and I was talking and joking with several of the students I already knew from last year.  She kept turning away and covering her face with her hands.  It took a little work, and a bit of help from her classmate in line behind her, but suddenly she burst out with this radiant smile.  Her face just lit up! It's amazing how much a simple thing like smiling can effect people.  Smiles are contagious, they cost nothing, and they make everyone around you feel better.   I think alot of our students (and their families) kind of have a bad taste in their mouths about school.  They think of it as something they have to do, not something they want to do.  We need to change that perception.  If we can get our students and our families to feel welcome at school, get them to feel a little joy at the idea of learning new and exciting things and meeting new friends, then our effect on them will be much more than a test score.  I think our biggest goal as educators should be encouraging our students to be lifelong learners.  A person who enjoys learning has no limits in life.  They can adapt and overcome obstacles.  They value their own potential and can dream big.  One of my main reasons for starting this series about my school is to help our students realize that they have value.  They're not just an ID# on a standardized test.  They can be more than that.  We want them to be more than that, and as soon as they start to believe it, they can achieve it!

Who knows?  Maybe it can all start with a little smile.






No comments:

Post a Comment