Thursday, August 25, 2011

Respect Yourself

"Respect"
Mark Nesmith
Pastel on Paper
14" x 11"
2011
Well, it only took a couple of days for people at school to start noticing what I’m doing.  I’ve had countless students, teachers, and even a parent or two asking about having their portrait painted!  I think everyone likes to feel like someone else thinks they’re important, and when you flip through history books the portrait paintings you see are usually of famous, important figures.  I think what goes on in our schools every day is as important as anything in the history books.  Our students are our future, and I want the future to be a bright one for my kids.  This is a painting of one of our TA’s on campus.  I’ve had the honor (although I think he’d understand if I said displeasure) of working cafeteria duty with him since last year.  Cafeteria duty is one of those thankless jobs that no one enjoys but is essential to the day to day operation of a public school.  Some of the older kids say he’s mean, but that really translates to "he won’t let me get away with something!" I don’t think he’s ordained as a minister, but I believe his real talent is preaching.  The topics of his sermons always seem to come around to respect.  Every day I listen to him talk with students, sometimes whole grade levels in the cafeteria, sometimes just a kid or two privately.  Sometimes he’s on the soapbox in the center of the room, and sometimes he’s quietly walking down the hall working with a small group of kids.  He’s tireless in trying to find ways to get them to understand how respect looks, sounds, and feels.  Simple things like tucking in your shirt or raising your hand in class can be signs of respect.  It’s one of the most important lessons we can teach.  Respect opens doors.  In the world outside of the classroom how you present yourself to an employer can sometimes have a bigger impact on getting hired than your report card. You could be the smartest person in the room, but if you don’t act the part no one believes it.  We often hear that respect has to be earned.  Before you can earn anyone else's repsect, first you have to learn to respect yourself.   

No comments:

Post a Comment