Friday, August 26, 2011

The "I Can't" Funeral

I discovered this on IncredibleArt.org.  It was in reference to a discussion of pet peeves from various art teachers, and one that all of us hear over and over is "I can't draw."  I tell everyone that "I can't" really means "I haven't practiced it enough."  I think his idea is fabulous, and not just for kids in art class.  I think we should all have our own "I Can't Funeral," just eliminate the phrase and all it's variations from our vocabulary and mindset.  If we focus on growing and learning and work hard enough we can learn to do anything.  Van Gogh wasn't a particulary naturally talented draftsman, but his desire to be an artist outweighed everything else and he just kept painting.  Now he's recognized as one of the most outstanding talents of his time.  When confronted with a new challenge we should all think like Dori and Nemo and "just keep swimming."

Art teacher Mikel Lee has a good idea about this syndrome:
"I had an "I Can't Funeral." I had [the students] all write what they couldn't do from art to every other topic and then they folded their lists and we stuck them in a coffin...they didn't know what we were doing at this point. Then I gathered them all and said that we were all gathered for the funeral of our dear friend, " I Can't." He had been a good partner and has given us many years of security. He had many aliases: 'It's too hard,' 'I don't know how,' etc. (make it up as you go)... He is survived by his brothers and sister "I can", "I will", and "I am going to try my best." In the future when we feel like we need "I can't" we will turn to his brothers and sisters for strength and we will make it through our tough times..... Then we had a moment of silence and put the top on the box. I think that the teacher I borrowed from even buried the box outside.. I just put a tombstone on the wall and wrote R.I.P "I Can't" and the date. It was cool because even though it was corny every time someone said I can't someone said "I can't is dead" and pointed to the wall."

 Here's the link to the full article at Incredible @rt Department (incredibleart.org):
 http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/peeves/petpeeves.html

No comments:

Post a Comment